- Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre
- London, Ontario
- Value of Project
- $3,200,000 (Security)
- Services Provided
- Security Engineering
Maximize planning to keep downtime to a minimum
This project involved renovations to the front lobby and control rooms and major security upgrades for the existing 450-bed maximum security correctional facility.
- A new touchscreen to control the integrated security system based on new MCSCS Security Standards to replace the existing hardwired push-button panel
- New HMI to enhance operator monitoring, control efficiency, and minimize response time for security-related incidents
- New PLCs with built-in redundancies to control and monitor doors and alarm points
- A new IP-based upgraded video surveillance system to replace the existing analog system. The new system provided 100% coverage of the facility, consisting of 350+ IP cameras
- A new detention grade intercom system and inmate visitation system was incorporated
- All security systems were integrated on the touchscreen control system
The Central Control Room and Front Control Room were renovated to ensure monitoring and control functionality was as per ergonomic guidelines.
The security systems were upgraded while the facility was fully operational, which required a well-thought-out phasing plan to ensure downtime was minimal during the transition period to the new systems.